The US state of Vermont has released the latest version of its rule concerning chemicals of high concern to children (CHCC) in children’s products.
This updates contains multiple important changes, including:
• Expansion in the definition of formaldehyde – from ‘formaldehyde’ to ‘formaldehyde and substances that are intentionally added to release formaldehyde’. These include:
– Diazolidinyl urea
– DMDM hydantoin – also known as 1,3-bis(hydroxymethyl)-5,5-dimethylimidazolidine-2,4-dione
– Imidazolidinyl urea
– Methanol, (phenylmethoxy)
– Sodium N-(hydroxymethyl) glycinate
• Clarification that the manufacturer of a children’s product offered for sale or distribution in Vermont must submit the required notice to the Department of Health (DoH) on or before January 31, 2022, and annually thereafter
• New Section 9 ‘Reporting between Annual Reporting Periods’ – stipulates that on or before July 31 of every year, a manufacturer of a children’s product should report all products introduced for sale or distribution in the state between January 31 and July 31 of that year
Manufacturers of children’s products, or a trade association representing them, are required to make these disclosures under V.S.A. Title 18: Chapter 38A ‘Chemicals of High Concern to Children’. Under the terms of the act, they must report the presence of CHCCs to the DoH if the CHCC is in an accessible component and is either:
• Intentionally added and is greater than the practical quantification limit (PQL)
• A contaminant that is equal to or greater than 100 ppm
The latest version of the CHCC in Children’s Products Rule came into effect on September 1, 2020.
SGS Toy & Juvenile Product Services
SGS offers a wide range of services to ensure that products comply with relevant standards for childcare articles and children’s equipment. They provide consulting, training, product development, testing, audit and inspection services to ensure that products comply with strict regulations worldwide, demonstrating the safety and quality of juvenile products being brought to the market. Learn more about SGS’s Toy & Juvenile Product Services. [www.sgs.com/en/consumer-goods-retail/toys-and-juvenile-products]
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Vermont, USA, Issues Latest CHCC in Children’s Products Rule SafeGuardS. [www.sgs.com/en/news/2020/09/safeguards-13520-vermont-usa-issues-latest-chcc-in-childrens-products-rule]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel:(+852) 2774 7420
Email: crs.media ( @ ) sgs dot com
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.