Taiwan has issued a revised list of colorants that are permitted for use in cosmetic products.
Released on September 29, 2020 by the Taiwan Food and Drug Administration (TFDA), Notice No. 109160537 revises its List of Colorants Permitted for use in Cosmetic Products. These revisions include:
• Addition of 70 new colorants with which application areas they can be used in and any restrictions
• Removal of four colorants from the existing list
• Updates to current entries relating to application and limit of use
The application areas are:
1. Colorants allowed in all cosmetic products
2. Colorants allowed in all cosmetic products except those intended to be applied in the vicinity of the eyes
3. Colorants allowed exclusively in cosmetic products intended not to come into contact with the mucous membranes
4. Colorants allowed exclusively in cosmetic products intended to come into contact only briefly with the skin
Restrictions include ‘not for use in hair dye products’ and limits for lip cosmetics.
To see a complete list of the added colorants, view our original SafeGuard 152/20.
This revision comes into force on July 1, 2021. Manufacturers have until June 30, 2021 to ensure their products comply with the new regulation.
SGS Cosmetics & Personal Care Testing Services
SGS provides testing, inspection, auditing and consulting services to manufacturers, distributors, and importers to ensure a high level of product quality in every area. A global network of state-of-the-art laboratories offer custom-made solutions for chemical, biophysical, microbiological, stability and biological aspects. Learn more about SGS’s Cosmetics & Personal Care Testing Services. (www.sgs.com/en/consumer-goods-retail/cosmetics-personal-care-and-household/cosmetics-and-personal-care/testing)
In addition, SGS Digicomply is an advanced regulatory compliance management platform that helps manufacturers stay informed on regulatory and legislative changes. [www.digicomply.com/cosmetic-personal-care-and-household]
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full The TFDA Releases a New List of Permitted Colorants in Cosmetic Products SafeGuardS. [www.sgs.com/en/news/2020/10/safeguards-15220-the-tfda-releases-a-new-list-of-permitted-colorants-in-cosmetic-products]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Queenie Ho-yan TSE
Assistant Technical Service Manager
Tel: +852 2765 3672
Email: crs.media ( @ ) sgs dot com
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing, and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.