[prMac.com] Cary, North Carolina – Remoter Labs today is proud to announce the release of Remoter1.2.0 for OS X Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion, an update to their productivity app that enables users to remotely control Macs via Screen Sharing, and Windows or Linux computers using the VNC or RDP. The app uses Bonjour and NetBIOS to make setup a cinch. Sound redirection and easy setup, RDP, Telnet and SSH support are included.
The app offers one of the fastest implementations of the VNC and RDP protocols on the Mac platform. Operation is intuitive, with a well thought out interface.
When connecting to other Macs or Windows, setup is ultra-simple with the free RemoterFusion helper app. Port-forwarding and/or dynamic DNS is not needed in order to establish connections from outside the computer’s network. This app also provides sound redirection, which allows listening to music tracks, or any sound playing remotely on the computer.
Otherwise, local session set-up is still simple, all the computers from the WiFi network are found using both the Bonjour and NetBIOS standards. The user then clicks on the desired connection, and all queried information such as computer name, IP address, service port, and more auto-populates the set-up screen. The user then only needs to enter the VNC password to complete setup. A button labeled “Advanced” reveals many useful advanced options, like color depth, server scaling setting, compression level and more.
RDP is also included, allowing connections to most Windows computers that include an RDP server (Remote Desktop Protocol). This allows connecting to these machines without having to install a server, as is the case with VNC.
The app also allows users to establish secure, SSH-tunneled, VNC or RDP connections to their computers. SSH support also gives users the ability of establishing terminal connections to any SSH server. Featuring full terminal control, including special keys such as Control, Alt, F1-F14. Terminal support implements font foreground and background color, a terminal buffer, and clicking. SSH authentication includes both passwords and private/public key support. A fully featured SSH Key manager allows users to create SSH keys using RSA or DSA. Passphrases can also be set, and independent SSH keys can be used for each SSH session.
The SSH feature also gives users the ability of create up to five TCP tunnels per connection. The tunnels can then be accessed while the app is in the background by any other app. Providing a VPN-like connection to the SSH server.
Telnet enables users to connect to server computers using the Telnet protocol. Like with SSH, the app provides full color support, a terminal buffer, and special keys.
Both the SSH and Telnet features allow for selection of text which is then synchronized with the system’s pasteboard, and can then be pasted within the application, or into any other app.
The app features a beautiful connection selection interface. Servers can be sorted by name, type or usage, and, buttons allow easy access to only VNC, RDP, SSH or Telnet machines. A search box also allows to easily find the desired server.
Wake-on-LAN support is also built-in, when the server session is setup using Bonjour or NetBIOS, the MAC address is automatically populated. Otherwise the field is provided to allow the user to populate it manually. Wake-on-LAN can then be sent either from the main screen of the app, or via the session selection screen.
Macros can also be created and run. Macro support is included for VNC, RDP, SSH and Telnet sessions, and a Macros manager allows for renaming and deleting of existing macros.
The app is extremely configurable, and even includes an app-wide PIN security system to prevent unauthorized use.
Lion’s full-screen support is also provided.
* A complete solution, no in-app purchases
* Multiple simultaneous connections
* Completely resigned session selection interface
* RemoterFusion compatible (for connecting and sound streaming and multi-monitor support on the Mac)
* Fast VNC protocol 3.8 supported. Compatible with OSX (Snow Leopard and Lion) Screen Sharing, the latest UltraVNC for Windows and Linux VNC servers
* Support for sound/music redirection from OSX and easy setup without port-forwarding / dynamic DNS with RemoterFusion
* Support for RDP (w/encryption support). Including sound redirection!. SSH and Telnet, VNC over SSH, RDP over SSH, and arbitrary SSH port tunnels
* SSH supports public-key authentication. Included SSH Key management system to generate, copy to pasteboard the SSH keys
* Support for recording and running Macros
* International keyboard support for servers that don’t support direct input mode: German, Swiss-German, Russian, French, Danish and Spanish Keyboard mappings.
* UltraVNC MS Login Authentication Support, Server-Side Scaling
* Wake-on-Lan Support
* Bonjour and NetBIOS computer discovery
* Support for 8bpp, 16bpp and 32bpp color depths
* Lion/Mountain Lion’s Fullscreen mode
* Clipboard synchronization (Paste is universal, but copy requires server support)
What’s New in Version 1.2.0:
* Added Retina support, and artwork (including config option to autodetect/force/disable)
* New CloundSync Manager (use dropbox to save/restore your sessions)
* New Categories Manager
* Native Session Editor
* Native Remoter Config (Preferences)
* New system for adding new sessions. (including quick start of discovered machines)
* Windows 8 Release Candidate RDP compatibility
* Updated RDP and VNC engines
* Performance enhancements (some HW accel) for VNC and Terminal sessions
* Updated Italian, German and Spanish localizations
* Added Norwegian localization
* New RDP keyboard input mode for Mac, new default (Setting in Remoter config). Also replaces unicode setting in Session editor
* Sort categories alphabetically in drop downs & in category manager
* New rendering engine
* Updates to screen restoration to take into account: number of monitors, screen resolution, special RDP resolutions. Window frame and origin stored. Needs “Session – General Advanced Settings – Restore State” enabled
* Display screenshot while connecting to session. New screenshots now have native resolution (not scaled)
* Added option to enable VNC hw acceleration hooks
* Added option for command q pass-through
* Option to disable system keys pass through
* Implemented instant disconnect (no more waiting for stuck disconnects)
* Increased max cursor size from 32×32 to 128×128 for VNC
* Added option to ignore cursor shape updates
* Added Remoter Config option to hide the menubar completely when in fullscreen mode
* New terminal scroller (scroll bar for SSH, Telnet)
* Enabled ssh tcp keep alive and ping interval for over* ssh connections, to keep the tunnel active
* Added “click here to add first session” message (Display click here to add your first session message (image) when no sessions are defined)
* Better support for Windows keyboards: – PrintScreen key, – ScrollLock key, – Pause/Break key, – Insert key to RDP Keyboard mode (in Remoter Config)
* AutoReconnect now requires connection to have been up for at least 30 seconds – This prevents quick-reconnect-loop
* If restore session is not set, then when user closes a window, ask if they want to disconnect only
* Corrected one case where saving screenshot even if user set to not save
* Corrected one case where a non-retained image ref was being called via a dispatch loop, potentially causing crashes
* Fixed grid width to account for potential “always visible” vertical scrollbar
* Use actual menu separator line instead of an empty entry (Mac)
* Fixed problem with password encryption for UTF8 international characters
* Small ui update to make sure German strings fit
* RDP fixes: corrects bugs when closing/opening multiple connections to the same machine
* Fixed fullscreen session restoration (Mac)
* Mac Grid: Moved category selection button to the right of the type selector – Also made it wider, and replaced the “all” title.
* Fix issue causing quick close of session to be started after canceling previous connection
* For Mac’s terminal sessions, use direct keyboard mapping, so that international keyboards work correctly
* Fix for cases where RDP connection was not being closed correctly
* Prompt user when switching auto screenshots off if they want to delete the current screenshots
* Fixed SSH screen disappear-and-then-reappear on connect
* For RDP native fullscreen, on Mac: switch to fullscreen on connect
* Allow right* clicking on thumbnail
* Allow right* clicking on config button
* Present context menu at mouse location
* OS X 10.6 or higher
* 12 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Remoter 1.2.0 is now at the special price of $10.99 (USD) with free lifetime upgrades, and is available worldwide through the Mac App Store in the Productivity category. Review copies are available upon request.Remoter 1.2.0
Purchase and Download
Located in Cary, North Carolina, Remoter Labs was founded by Raf Cabezas in May, 2010. The company seeks to produce high quality software while maintaining competitive pricing. Copyright (C) 2010-2012 Remoter Labs. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Macintosh, OS X are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. VNC is a registered trademark of RealVNC Ltd.