[prMac.com] San Francisco, California – Smile has released PDFpen 6.0, the latest version of its all-purpose PDF editing tool for OS X. This major upgrade of PDFpen features export to Microsoft(R) Word format and a new editing bar for faster access to tools and properties.
PDFpen 6 is fully optimized for Retina displays. The updated document window appearance is enhanced with a new dropdown menu to access sidebar options for search, annotations, thumbnails, and table of contents. Auto Save and Versions, features of OS X, are fully supported, so editing work is automatically saved and previous versions of a PDF can be accessed and restored.
A new version of PDFpenPro is also available. In addition to all the new features of PDFpen 6.0, PDFpenPro 6.0 gives users more control over how their PDFs are used via document permission settings that restrict saving, printing, and copying. PDFpenPro 6.0 also simplifies creation of cross-platform interactive PDF forms by automatically creating form fields in a non-interactive PDF form.
“PDFpen goes far beyond annotations and highlighting with power features such as text correction, OCR, and redaction,” said Greg Scown, Smile founder. “Now, with Word export, PDFpen is an even more versatile PDF editing tool.”
The PDF-to-Word export uses the Nuance OmniPage Cloud Document Conversion Service. PDFs are securely uploaded to the service and returned as Word documents in either .doc or .docx format.
PDFpen 6 works with PDFpen for iPad and PDFpen for iPhone, allowing seamless editing across devices when used with iCloud or Dropbox storage. Users who wish to use iCloud must purchase PDFpen 6 from the Mac App Store. (Apple restricts iCloud access to applications purchased via the Mac App Store.)
PDFpen retails for $59.95, PDFpenPro for $99.95. Family Pack licenses, which cover up to five computers in one household, are $74.95 for PDFpen and $119.95 for PDFpenPro. Office Pack licenses, which cover up to five users in an office, are $179.95 for PDFpen and $279.95 for PDFpenPro.
Upgrades from earlier versions of either application are $30.00, and free to users who purchased on or after October 15, 2012. Upgrades from previous versions of PDFpen to PDFpenPro 6.0 are $40.
There is no mechanism for offering upgrades in the Mac App Store. To accommodate customers who wish to purchase Mac App Store versions, special pricing will be offered for the first 48 hours. PDFpen will be $29.99 and PDFpenPro will be $39.99 for this very limited time. Free upgrades for those who purchased on or after the upgrade cutoff date are only available for the Smile Store version.
PDFpen 6.0 and PDFpenPro 6.0 require Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) or later. Demo versions are available at Smile’s website. Full versions of PDFpen and PDFpenPro are also available for purchase on Apple’s Mac App Store. iCloud storage requires the Mac App Store version.
What’s New in PDFpen 6:
* Export to Microsoft(R) Word (.doc, .docx) format (requires Internet connection, must be licensed user)
* New editing bar for faster, easier access to tools and properties
* Optimized for Retina displays
* Edit document permissions to restrict saving, printing, copying, etc. (requires PDFpenPro)
* Create form fields automatically (requires PDFpenPro)
* Drag and drop reordering of items in the Library
* Autosaving and document versions
* Print lists of annotations
* Filter annotations by type
* Enhanced document window appearance
* Highlight form fields
* Syncs Library via iCloud for use with PDFpen for iPhone/iPad (Mac App Store version only)
* Russian language OCR
* Add text, images and signatures to PDF
* Make corrections and changes in original PDF
* Move, resize, copy, and delete images in original PDF
* Perform Optical Character Recognition (OCR) on scanned documents
* Redact or erase text, including OCR text; use search-and-redact or search-and-replace
* Use iCloud (Mac App Store version only) or Dropbox for seamless editing with PDFpen for iPad and PDFpen for iPhone
* Adjust resolution, color depth, and contrast in an image or scanned document
* Insert page numbers and specify positioning and format, including Roman numerals and Bates Numbering
* Fill out PDF forms
* Add (and print) notes and comments
* Save frequently-used images, signatures, and scribbles in the Library
* Save PDFs directly to Evernote
* Convert a website into a multi-page PDF document (requires PDFpenPro)
* Create cross-platform fillable PDF forms (requires PDFpenPro)
* Create and edit Table of Contents (requires PDFpenPro)
* Automate PDF manipulations with AppleScript
* Available in English, Japanese, German, Italian, and French
* OS X 10.7 (Lion) and later
* iCloud storage requires the Mac App Store version
Pricing & Availability:
PDFpen Pricing –
Family Pack: $74.95 (home use; up to 5 computers in one household)
Office Pack: $179.95 (office use; up to 5 users in one office)
Upgrade from earlier versions of PDFpen: $30.00 (Free upgrade to the Smile Store version for purchases made on or after October 15, 2012; no free upgrades available in the Mac App Store)
PDFpenPro Pricing –
Family Pack: $119.95 (home use; up to 5 computers in one household)
Office Pack: $279.95 (office use; up to 5 users in one office)
Upgrade from earlier versions of PDFpenPro: $30.00 (Free upgrade to the Smile Store version for purchases made on or after October 15, 2012; no free upgrades available in the Mac App Store)
Upgrade from previous version of PDFpen to PDFpenPro 6.X – $40.00
Site licenses – PDFpen $999.00, PDFpenPro $1299.00
Site license terms – Single contact for support; single physical address or company with fewer than 1,000 employees.PDFpen 6.0
Download PDFpen and PDFpenPro
Press Kit (zip)
Smile makes productivity software for OS X and iOS devices, including PDFpen, the Mac PDF editor that won an Editors’ Choice Award from Macworld and The Mac Observer; PDFpen for iPad, the mobile PDF editor that won Macworld 2012 Best of Show; PDFpen for iPhone, winner of The Mac Observer’s Editors’ Choice Award; TextExpander, the Mac typing shortcut tool that also won a Macworld Eddy award; TextExpander touch for the iPhone and iPad; and DiscLabel, the Macworld Eddy award-winning CD label design program. Copyright (C) 2013 Smile. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Mac OS X, and Macintosh are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.