[prMac.com] Seattle, Washington – Cairn, the mobile app that enables people to stay in touch while enjoying the outdoors, announced the launch of their new iOS app today. The first of its kind, Cairn displays spots with cell coverage, keeps emergency contacts up to date, and tracks the user’s location, enabling rescuers to find lost or injured users faster.
Developed by a professional alpinist and former Air Force survival instructor, this free app was born of a desire to make adventuring outdoors safer for everyone. “Connectivity is a major limitation of tech in the outdoors,” said Ali Alami, co-founder of Cairn. “We at Cairn are working to overcome that.”
Cairn users are building a crowdsourced coverage map of the wilderness. Since the beta launch of Cairn earlier this year, users have collected over 300,000 independent data points in ten states, seven national parks, and along the entire 2650-mile Pacific Crest Trail.
“Hikers and climbers have always been exceptionally helpful to fellow adventurers in need,” said Tove Martin, co-founder of Cairn. “And with Cairn they’re continuing the same tradition of assistance, only now they’re doing it digitally. It’s been incredible to see the enthusiasm with which our beta testers have trailblazed unmapped areas.”
The Cairn app features:
* An innovative way to help fellow outdoor enthusiasts: Collect and share points of cell phone coverage
* A better way to keep emergency contacts updated: Users tell emergency contacts where they’re headed with just a few taps: If a user doesn’t check in on time, Cairn sends a detailed map of the user’s tracks
* Cell coverage data in remote areas: Data is broken down by carrier so users know where they can send an ‘I’m OK’ message or find a signal to call for help
* iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
* Requires iOS 7.0 or later
* 9.9 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Cairn 1.0.1 is Free and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Health & Fitness category.Cairn 1.0.1
Download from iTunes
Based in Seattle, Washington, Cairn and its parent FitClimb LLC was founded in 2014. The company is dedicated to helping people stay safe while hiking, climbing, skiing, mountaineering, trail running and other outdoor pursuits. All Material and Software (C) Copyright 2014-2015 FitClimb LLC. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks and registered trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.