[prMac.com] Geneva, Switzerland – CTM Development releases FoxTrot Professional Search & Server 4.1, a performance and feature update to their popular document indexing and retrieval solution for Mac OS X, and the new FoxTrot Attache companion app for iPad and iPhone. Perfect for anyone who works with files saved for future reference, FoxTrot Professional Search helps locate document and their contents using multiple categorization of search results, ranked by relevance.
FoxTrot Professional Search is a powerful find-by-content solution that offers precision tools for finding the proverbial “needle in a haystack” directly within PDF, HTML, word processing, e-mail and multimedia content and metadata. The product has been especially well received in legal (law firm and courts), media (newsrooms researchers, ad agencies and editors), mobile contexts (MacBook users with document collections) as well as by casual users stepping up from FoxTrot Personal Search or Apple’s Spotlight.
FoxTrot Professional Search utilizes the latest Mac OS technologies to extend well beyond Spotlight’s features, offering document preview and full view capabilities and secondary document-level search features. Users can manage multiple indexed collections effortlessly and have indices updated without even launching the application.
* Multiple categories of relevance-ranked results
* Document preview and full view, with secondary document-level search
* Multiple indexed collections and timed updates without launching the application
* Client-server access to peer-to-peer FoxTrot Professional applications and dedicated FoxTrot Search servers
* Worldwide Unicode language support
New in version 4 (4.1):
* Introduces FoxTrot Attache app for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch – now available for the App Store – a new companion app which lets FoxTrot owners keep a copy of their text-enriched index files with them at all times and wherever their iPhone or iPad goes. This allows the high-speed searching through terabytes of document contents focused on their text-only essentials, enabling decades of email archives, text from thousands of Word and PDF documents and more to be instantly accessed at all times. FoxTrot Attache, a $24.95 app, searches through one of multiple index files moved via iTunes from either FoxTrot Professional Search or FoxTrot Personal Search
* Text excerpts of the highest ranking context for a search can be displayed in the document list, enabling quicker sifting throught found documents before preview or secondary search
* Highly compressed text-only cache of indexed text may be stored within the index and searched off-line, ie when the source documents (from a desktop hard disk or server) are not available. This allows search within document essentials when using a mobile device such as a MacBook
* Enhanced PDF support, including a relevance-ranked thumbnail view
* Support for several Mac OS X 10.8 features such as full-screen view, progress bar in dock icon, full 64-bit application, PDFkit improvements and more
“This is the 25th year since CTM’s first search-related product (Mac 111, the first CD-ROM based telephone directory); many things have changed, but our commitment to delivering precision search results is constant”, said Jean-Michel Karr, co-founder of CTM Development SA in Geneva, Switzerland.
“CTM FoxTrot Professional version 4.1 is the culmination of hard work focused on find-by-content. And now thanks to FoxTrot Attache, anyone can have, for instance, twenty years of email archives accessible off-line from an iPhone, entire collections of reference documents searchable on an iPad set to Airplane mode, and much more. This combination is truly unique.”
FoxTrot Professional Search builds on years of experience in search functionality refined within CTM’s PowerMail and FoxTrot Personal Search products, which continue to be enhanced. Version 4.1 introduces higher performance and a roster of productivity-enhancing features. When customers purchase a 5-user license, the application automatically acts as a peer-to-peer indexing server.
With a 10-user license (or more), customers receive a full fledged client-server product with a server component that can be deployed any Mac OS X or Windows 7/Vista/XP with file sharing enabled, as well as on Mac OS X Server or Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2. This makes FoxTrot Professional Search particularly suited to networked environments where sharing archived documents and metadata is paramount.
* U.S. English and French
* All current FoxTrot Search products require an Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X Version 10.8 Mountain Lion or 10.7 Lion, (10.6.x Snow Leopard is supported in version 4.0 and Mac OS X 10.5 supported in version 3.2.2, PowerPC and Mac OS 10.4 supported in version 2.6)
* FoxTrot Search Server also includes a slightly narrower focus Server component for Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP specialized on PDF, Word and text documents
New License Pricing:
FoxTrot Professional Search 4.1 and FoxTrot Search Server are available immediately. A single user license is priced at just 99 Euro. A 5 user license (includes peer-to-peer sharing) is available for only 199 Euro. A 10 user license also includes FoxTrot Search Server for 390 Euro, with degressive per-seat enterprise licenses available. FoxTrot Attache Search for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch is available from the Apple App store for US$24.95 and is compatible with iOS version 5 and 6 as well as with the iPhone 5.
FoxTrot Professional Search 4.1 is available as a full-featured 30-day demo. FoxTrot Search Server is available as a full-featured 60-day demo.
FoxTrot Professional Search 4.1 is a free update for current FoxTrot Professional Search 4 licensed owners, and is available to current FoxTrot Personal Search users for the difference in price only (69.3 Euro) via a coupon e-mailed to all registered owners.FoxTrot Professional Search 4.1
Download FoxTrot Professional and optional Search Server
Purchase FoxTrot Professional Search
Product Feature Comparison (pdf)
Headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, CTM Development SA is a privately held company co-founded in 1985 by longtime software developer Jean-Michel Karr. With a rich history dating back to the Apple II and 512k Macintosh, CTM Development is committed to providing the highest quality software and founded for the purpose of developing unique productivity solutions for the Mac platform and enterprise, with a major emphasis on total customer satisfaction. In 2003, the core FoxTrot search engine was designed and developed from scratch by Jerome Seydoux, an experienced NeXTStep and Mac developer, for use within PowerMail and new find-by-content solutions on Mac OS and iOS. FoxTrot is a key component of PowerMail 6 and is at the heart of the standalone line of FoxTrot Search products. Copyright 1985-2012 CTM Development SA. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Cocoa, iOS and Spotlight are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.