On September 30, 2020, the US state of California banned 24 substances from inclusion in cosmetic products.
AB2762 Cosmetic Products: Safety will come into effect on January 1, 2025. It prohibits the manufacturing, selling, delivering, holding, or offering for sale in commerce any cosmetic products that contains any of eleven intentionally added substances or the use of perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl (PFAS) and their salts.
The eleven intentionally added substances are:
1. Dibutyl phthalate
2. Diethylhexyl phthalate
5. Methylene glycol
10. m-Phenylenediamine and its salts
11. o-Phenylenediamine and its salts
The PFAS and their salts include:
12. Perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS); heptadecafluorooctane-1-sulfonic acid
13. Potassium perfluorooctanesulfonate; potassium heptadecafluorooctane-1-sulfonate
14. Diethanolamine perfluorooctane sulfonate
15. Ammonium perfluorooctane sulfonate; ammonium heptadecafluorooctanesulfonate
16. Lithium perfluorooctane sulfonate; lithium heptadecafluorooctanesulfonate
17. Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA)
18. Ammonium pentadecafluorooctanoate
19. Nonadecafluorodecanoic acid
20. Ammonium nonadecafluorodecanoate
21. Sodium nonadecafluorodecanoate
22. Perfluorononanoic acid (PFNA)
23. Sodium heptadecafluorononanoate
24. Ammonium perfluorononanoate
Stakeholders should note that technically unavoidable trace quantities of the 24 substances are not within the scope of the violation. These could be due to impurities of natural or synthetic ingredients, the manufacturing process, storage, or migration from packaging.
SGS Cosmetics & Personal Care Testing Services
SGS provides testing, inspection, auditing and consulting services to manufacturers, distributors, and importers to ensure a high level of product quality in every area. A global network of state-of-the-art laboratories offer custom-made solutions for chemical, biophysical, microbiological, stability and biological aspects. Learn more about SGS’s Cosmetics & Personal Care Testing Services. (www.sgs.com/en/consumer-goods-retail/cosmetics-personal-care-and-household/cosmetics-and-personal-care/testing)
In addition, SGS Digicomply is an advanced regulatory compliance management platform that helps manufacturers stay informed on regulatory and legislative changes. [www.digicomply.com/cosmetic-personal-care-and-household]
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full California Passes A Law To Ban 24 Substances From Cosmetic Products SafeGuardS. [www.sgs.com/en/news/2020/10/safeguards-15020-california-passes-a-law-to-ban-24-substances-from-cosmetic-products]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Queenie Ho-yan TSE
Assistant Technical Service Manager
Tel: +852 2765 3672
Email: crs.media ( @ ) sgs dot com
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing, and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.